Losing your hair can be a wakeup call, that can leave you feeling self-conscious and insecure. However, the truth is, some of us are less fortunate than others, as hair thins and some start balding at an early age. Many people will experience hair loss due to a variety of causes such as simple genetics, aging, or other lifestyle factors, during their lifetime.
Fortunately, advances in medical science and constant evolving technology, have made it possible for eligible patients of hair loss, especially hereditary hair loss, and male and female pattern baldness, to undergo hair transplant surgery to restore lost hair and regain their confidence and youthful appearance.
What is hair transplant surgery?
Traditional hair transplantation (also known as Follicular Unit Transplant) involves the removal of a narrow strip of hair from an area of the head, usually the back of the head, and then transplanting these hair follicles onto the thinning and bald areas of the head. The hair follicles harvested from the back of the head are resistant to the hormone Dihydrotestosterone (DHT), which is the hormone responsible for progressive hair loss. When transplanted, these follicles will continue to grow naturally.
Things to Know Before Undergoing the Surgery:
1. Finding the right surgeon is important: Not only do you want the best possible results for your money, but you also need to absolutely ensure that you are in safe hands when you choose to have a hair transplant. The risks of excessive scarring or a dodgy hairline are simply too great when you use an inexperienced surgeon. So, take your time.
2. Do your homework, and consider the procedure that is right for YOU: If you are on a budget, talk to your surgeon about which procedure is right for you, and they will be able to advise you on what will be the most successful course.
3. Know the Risks: As with any surgical procedure, there are risks associated. Sometimes, unnatural looking hair growth can occur, that results in patches or tufts. However, with an experienced and reliable surgeon, these risks are minimal, and if you have done your homework and are confident you have found the right doctor and procedure, then there is no reason to be worried.
4. The outcome of the hair transplant will work differently for everyone: Everyone is different. Therefore, before going for a hair transplant surgery, it is important to prepare your mind that regrowth of hair is different for every person. Your hair transplant surgery depends on the quantity of hair you have in your donor area. Also, getting a hair transplant does not guarantee you a head full of hair.
5. Hair transplant is permanent: It is best to do your research about hair transplant techniques before going for hair restoration, because it is a surgical method to cure your hair loss. Since the hair is taken and relocated to the bald spots, it makes the hair transplant a permanent process. You cannot go for a trial run.
6. Follow post-op directions: While planning your surgery, keep in mind that it will take a time for you to go back to your normal routine. It requires several days to rest and to take extensive care of your transplanted area. Take care of yourself, and listen to your surgeon!
Are you a candidate for a hair transplant? Call Atlantic Center Surgery at (954) 983-1899 to request an appointment with Dr. Stelnicki.